The Guyana National Bureau of Standards (GNBS) was established in March of the year 1984 under Act No. 11 of Parliament in the same year.
At the time the Bureau was located in the Ministry of Works compound, Fort Street, Kingston, until April, 1987, when the operations were moved to 77 West ½ Hadfield Street, Werk-en-Rust. The Bureau remained until the month of June in 1996 when the GNBS Office was located to Flat 15, National Exhibition Complex, Sophia, Greater Georgetown..
The Bureau has the legal status of a statutory corporation or a semi-autonomous agency. It is governed by a National Standards Council, whose members are appointed by the subject Minister. i.e. Ministry of Tourism, Industry and Commerce. Members of National Standards Council are drawn from organizations such as the Chambers of Commerce, the University of Guyana, the Guyana Manufacturers’ Association, Regulatory bodies etc.
The Council meets monthly in order to carry out the work of the organisation which is executed through the various Technical Committees appointed by the National Standards Council. The Chairpersons of the respective technical committees are members of the council.
GNBS VISION STATEMENT
To improve the quality of goods and services in Guyana, by partnering with government, consumers and industry through the process of standardisation.
GNBS MISSION STATEMENT
To promote the national quality infrastructure for economic, social development and consumer protection in partnership with key sectors through Standards,Metrology and Conformity Assessement.
The objectives of the Bureau are to:
● promote standardisation in industry and commerce;
● encourage or undertake educational work in connection with standardisation;
● establish, form, furnish and maintain information systems and laboratories for the purpose of furthering the practice of standardisation;
● provide for the testing, at the request of the Minister and on behalf of the Government, of locally manufactured and imported commodities with the view of determining whether such commodities comply with the provision of the Standards Act or any other law dealing with standards and quality;
● assist in the rationalisation of industries by coordinating the efforts of producers and consumers for improvement of appliances, processes, raw materials and products;
● prepare, frame, modify or amend specifications and codes of practice;
● make arrangements and provide facilities for the testing and calibration of precision instruments gauges and scientific apparatus to determine their degree of accuracy;
● make arrangements or provide facilities for the examination and testing of commodities and any material or substance from or with which, and the manner in which commodities may be manufactured produced, processed or treated;
● control in accordance with the provisions of the Standards Act, the use of standardisation marks and distinctive marks; and provide for co-operation with any person, association or organisation outside Guyana having objects similar to those for which the Bureau is established.
These are namely:-
5. Standards Compliance
6. Weights and Measures
7. Management System
8. Laboratory Services
10. Standards Information
12. Administration and Finance
15. Audit Services